Friday 25 July 2008

Do something different


Fragment Of Death StarIts been a while since I've posted. I have a few things in the pipeline, an article about flash synchronisation, a review of some ebay barn doors and a compact DIY barn door solution, but while all that is being prepared, I thought I would post something simple. Just like me.

The image on the left is The Monument; a tower commemorating the great fire of London that started in pudding lane. The scaffolding is there for refurbishment and re-gilding of the globe at the top of the tower. At night it looks for all the world like a destroyed tower block from a disaster movie or a fragment of the death star

If you have been reading my blog you may be aware of my lunchtime walks project. I'm attempting to walk every street within a one mile radius of my office. Its been a real eye-opener for me and I highly recommend it to everyone. If you get an hour for lunch use it and get around. One thing I have realised from doing this project is that its not enough to simply walk down every street, there are two directions you can walk in and you will see different things. Not only two directions, but even a change of perspective from one side of the road to the other can reveal overlooked details.

Another observation is that people tend to stick to the same routes from one place to another. If the pavements were softer you would see ruts along all the main roads. The crazy thing is that parallel to these routes, the streets are often empty of people.

So if you walk anywhere at all, don't get into a rut, at the very least cross the road, better still take a detour down a side street, explore your world and you will find more photographic opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment